Day in the Life of a Buckeye
The mission of A Day in the Life of a Buckeye is to motivate urban and rural students, to achieve their full potential, through education, inspiration, and motivation.
All Ohio State students can apply here at A Day in the Life of a Buckeye Application
Applications close September 24, 2017 at 11:59pm
Student Life GAs are exempt from the essay portion of the application.
Type "Student Life GA" in the essay box.
A Day in the Life of a Buckeye is a program that offers an individualized experience for urban and Appalachian area high school students to experience life at The Ohio State University, and college in general, for a day. This visit, hosted by currently enrolled undergraduate & graduate students, often include attending classes, interacting with faculty and staff, eating in campus-area dining facilities, visiting the library and recreational facilities, attending student group meetings, and seeing a residence hall room. Students participating within the program are paired with a student host based on their gender identity, intended major, and interest/hobbies.
Motivation is the key to the success of this program; the program's main goal is to provide motivation for education.
Due to a multitude of obstacles – some of these students who participate in this program believe that success is unattainable. The initial job of The Ohio State University mentors is to exemplify that they can be successful. The program focuses on the philosophy of education and desire; results in success. Ohio State students are also there to identify the potential pitfalls students can expect along the way (admissions, financial aid, etc.); and to share their own personal stories of overcoming adversity and the endless opportunities offered to them. They will stress the importance of receiving a high school diploma and continuing forward into higher education.
- Provide motivation for education
- Motivate students in Ohio's urban and Appalachian school districts
- Increase the college-going rate among Ohio's urban and Appalachian area students
- Help principals, counselors, and teachers foster a college-going culture
School Districts & Programs (Forthcoming)
The Fall 2017 A Day in the Life of a Buckeye event will take place on Wednesday, October 25, 2017.
Fall 2017 Application:
- Ohio State Student Host application - Opens September 3rd at 11:59pm
- Ohio State Student Host application - Closes September 17th at 11:59pm
- High School Student form - CLOSED (students must attend and/or be involved in one of the above high schools or programs)
- High School Faculty/Staff form - CLOSED
Every student host is required to attend 1 of 4 training sessions: